1 lb 10 oz mussels
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 shallots, chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 stalk lemongrass
2 kaffir lime leaves
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
finely grated peel of 1 lime
2 tbsp lime juice
1 1/4 cups hot vegetable stock
crusty bread, to serve
fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Using a small knife, scrape the beards of the mussels under cold running water. Scrub them well, discarding any that are damaged or remain open when tapped. Keep rinsing until there is no trace of sand.=.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large saucepan and fry the shallots and garlic gently until softened, about approx 2 minutes.
- Bruise the lemongrass, using a meat mallet or rolling pin, and add to the pan with the kaffir lime leaves, cilantro, lime peel and juice, mussels, and stock. Put the lid on the saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. shake the pan from time to time
- Lift the mussels out into 4 warmed soup plates, discarding any that remain shut. Boil the remaining liquid rapidly to reduce slightly. Remove the lemongrass and lime leaves, then pour the liquid over the mussels.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges, and serve at once.