1 full cup long-grain rice
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
8 scallions, trimmed and sliced finely
1 small red chili, seeded and chopped finely
1 tbsp red curry paste or 2 tbsp chili sauce
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup green beans, chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked peeled shrimp or chopped cooked chickenn
2 tbsp fish sauce
Cucumber slices to garnish
Shredded scallions to garnish
- Cook the rice in plenty of boiling lightly salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. drain, rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet until the oil is really hot
- Add the garlic to the wok or skillet and gently fry for 2 minutes until golden.
- Add the chili and scallions and cook, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the red curry paste or chili sauce to the wok or skillet and fry for 1 minute, then add the red bell pepper and green beans. Stir-fry briskly for 2 minutes.
- Tip the cooked rice into the wok or skillet and add the shrimp or chicken and the fish sauce. Stir-fry over a medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes, until the rice is hot.
- Transfer the chili fried rice to warm serving dishes, garnish with cucumber slices and shredded scallion and serve.