2 tbsp tamarind paste
4 red chilies, very finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-inch piece thai ginger, pealed and very finely chopped
4 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp palm sugar or ordinary sugar
5 cups fish stock
8 lime leaves
3/4 cup carrots, very thinly slices
12 oz sweet potato, diced
1 cup baby corn-on-the-cobs, halved
3 tbsp fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
3 1/2 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
8 oz fan-tail shrimp
- Place the tamarind paste, red chilies, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, sugar, and fish stock in a heated wok or large heavy skillet. Roughly tear the lime leaves and add to the wok. bring to boil, stirring constantly to blend the flavors.
- Reduce the heat and add the carrot, sweet potato, and baby corn cobs to the mixture in the wok.
- Leave the soup to simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Stir the cilantro, cherry tomatoes, and shrimp into the soup and heat through for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a warm soup tureen or individual serving bowls and serve hot.