8 Oz Beef tenderloin
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp powdered star anise
1 tsp dark soy sauce
Scallion tassels, to garnish
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 bunch scallions, halved length-ways
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp dry sherry
1/4 tsp chili sauce
2/3 cup water
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp water
- Cut the steak into thin strips and place in shallow dish.
- Mix together the garlic, star anise and dark soy sauce in a bowl.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the steak strips, turning them to coat thoroughly. Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a preheated wok or large skillet. Reduce the heat and stir-fry the scallion for 1-2 minutes
- Remove the scallions from the wok with draining spoon, drain on paper towels, set aside until required.
- add the beef to the wok, together with marinade, and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Return the scallions to the wok and add the soy sauce, sherry, chili sauce, and two-thirds of the water.
- Blend the cornstarch with the remaining water and stir into the wok. Bring to boil, stirring until the sauce thickens and clears.
- Transfer to warm serving dish, garnish and serve immediately.