2 lb pork spareribs
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp sesame oil
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
1 inch piece gingerroot, grated
2/3 cup plum sauce
2 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
4-6 scallions, to garnish (optional )
- To prepare the garnish, trim the scallions to about 3 inches long. Slice both ends into strips, leaving the onion intact in the center.
- put the scallions into bowl of iced water for at least 30 minutes until the ends start to curl up. Leave them in the water and set aside until required.
- if you buy the spareribs in a single piece, cut them into individual ribs. Bring a large pan of water to a boil and add the ribs. Cook for 5 minutes, then drain thoroughly.
- Heat the oils in a pan, add the garlic and ginger, and cook gently for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the plum sauce, sherry, hoisin, and soy sauce, and heat through.
- Brush the sauce over the pork ribs. Barbecue over hot coals for 5-10 minutes, then move to a cooler part of the barbecue for 15-20 minutes longer. basting with the remaining sauce. Garnish and serve hot.