2 1/2 cups fresh lima beans
6 strips bacon, diced
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (plus milk scraped from the cobs)
2 cups peeled and chopped ripe tomatoes, juices included
3/4 cup half-and-half
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Store-bought or homemade Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Put lima beans in a saucepan with salted water. Simmer on medium heat, covered. Cook for 15 minutes and then drain.
- Take a skillet and fry bacon on heat low heat till they become crisp.
- Stir in onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add ima beans, the corn plus the milk from the cobs, the tomatoes and their juices, and the half-and-half and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, pepper, and Tabasco and cook for few more minutes.