4 boneless, skinned chicken breast halves or 1 lb 10 oz sirloin steak, trimmed
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 small piece of ginger-root pealed and grated
2 tbs dark soy sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups coconut milk
1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Using a sharp knife, trim any fat from the chicken or beef then cut into thin strips (About 3 to 4 inches long)
- To make the marinade, place all ingredients in a shallow dish and mix well. Add the chicken or beef strips and stir in the marinade until well coated. Cover with plastic warp and leave to marinate for 2 to three hours. Or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and thread the pieces, concertina style, on thin wooden skewers.
- Broil the chicken and beef satays for 10 minutes, turning and brushing occasionally with the marinade, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, mix the coconut milk with the peanut butter, fish sauce, and lemon juice in a saucepan. Bring to a broil and cook for 3 minutes. Season to taste.
- Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl and serve with the cooked satays.