3 cups jarred whole artichoke hearts packed in water, preferably baby or cocktail size
2 slices hearty white sandwich bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup), plus extra for serving
Salt and pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons heavy cream
12 ounces tagliatelle
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Cut leaves from artichoke hearts and place them in bowl filled with water, for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Cut hearts in half and pat dry with paper towels.
- Blend bread in blender.
- Take a skillet and heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and cook for 5 minutes till they become golden brown. Now add ¼ cup Parmesan and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer the crumbs to bowl and add seasoning.
- Clean skillet and heat 1 tbsp oil on medium heat. Add artichoke hearts and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook for 9 minutes, and then add anchovies, garlic, pepper flakes and oregano. Cook for few seconds and then stir in cream and wine. Boil it and simmer. Remove skillet from heat and add artichoke leaves. Set aside.
- Boil 4 quarts water in a pot. Add pasta and 1 tbsp salt. Let it be cooked for few minutes. Reserve 1 cup cooking water.
- Drain pasta and put it back in pot.
- Add artichoke sauce, remaining parmesan, and reserved cooking water. Mix well. Add ¼ cup oil, lemon zest and parsley.
- Add cooking water as per your desired consistency. Add seasoning and serve with bread crumb mixture and parmesan.