1 1/3 cups small elbow macaroni
1 slice whole wheat bread
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3/4 cup low-fat milk
3/4 cup canned vegetable broth
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups (packed) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Take a sauce pan and cook macaroni in salted boiling water on medium heat. Drain and set aside.
- Blend bread in blender for making bread crumbs and put the crumbs in a bowl.
- Take a small saucepan on medium heat and melt butter. Stir in ½ tbsp crumbs.
- Now add remaining butter and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in broth and milk. Boil with constant stirring.
- Add green onions and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Now remove pan from heat and add cheese.
- Preheat broiler and mix macaroni into this sauce. Season.
- Pour the mixture into pie plate. Sprinkle bread crumbs over.
- Broil for 2 minutes. Serve.