9 tbsp butter, divided
1 1/2 pounds wild mushrooms sliced
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup dry white vermouth
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup finely chopped leek
1 1/4 cups arborio rice
1. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add 1/2 of mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Sauté mushrooms about 4 minutes, until tender and beginning to brown. Put browned mushrooms in a medium bowl.
3. Melt 4 more tablespoons of butter; then brown the other half of the mushrooms for about 4 minutes. Add to the other mushrooms in the bowl.
4. Bring 7 cups chicken broth to simmer in medium saucepan, then turn to low to keep it warm.
5. Melt the rest of the butter with the olive oil in the large skillet over medium-low heat.
6. Add the chopped leek to the skillet, sprinkle with salt, and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Add rice to skillet and turn heat to up to medium. Stir about 3 or 4 minutes, until the edges of rice begin to look a little clear.
8. Add white wine and white vermouth and stir about 1 minute, until all the liquid is absorbed.
9. Add 3/4 cup of the warm chicken broth; stir until almost all of the broth is absorbed, about 1 minute. Continue adding broth by the cupful, stirring until almost all broth is absorbed before adding more, until rice is halfway cooked, about 10 minutes.
10. Stir in the mushrooms. Continue adding broth by the cupful, stirring until almost all broth is absorbed before adding more, until rice is tender but still firm to bite and risotto is creamy, about 10 minutes.
11. Stir in 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
12. Serve immediately. Pass salt, ground black pepper, and additional Parmesan cheese alongside to add to taste.
Photography: Leonhard Janssen