8 oz beef tenderloin
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp powdered start anise
1 tbsp dark soy
scallion tassels, to garnish
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 bunch scallions halved lenghtways
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp dry cherry
1/4 tsp chili sauce
2/3 cup water
2 tsp cornstarch
4 tsp water
1) Cut the steak into thin strips and place in a shallow dish
2) Mix together the garlic, start anise and dark soy sauce in a bowl
3) Pour the sauce mixture over the steak strips, turning them to coat thoroughly. Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
4) to make the sauce, heat the oil in a preheated wok or a large skillet. Reduce the heat and stir-fry the scallion s for 1-2 minutes.
5) Remove the scallions from the wok with a draining spoon, drain on paper towels, and set aside until required.
6) Add the beef to the wok, together with the marinade, and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Return the scallions to the wok and add the soy sauce, sherry, chili sauce, and two-thirds of the water.
7) Blend the cornstarch with remaining water and stir into the wok. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sauce thickens and clears.
8) Transfer to a warm serving dish, garnish and serve immediately.