2 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes in juice, drained, juice reserved, tomatoes finely chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 medium onions, peeled, halved through root end
1/2 teaspoon (or more) salt
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French or country-style bread
1/3 cup whole milk
8 ounces ground beef (15% fat)
8 ounces ground pork
1 cup finely ground (not grated) Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
2 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 pound spaghetti
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (for serving)
- Take a large pot and mix tomatoes with juice, onions, salt and butter. Simmer on medium heat, and then let it simmer on low heat for 45 minutes, with frequent stirring.
- Remove onions and blend the mixture into blender to make a puree. Season it with salt and black pepper.
For Meat balls:
- Take a bowl and mix milk with breadcrumbs. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Take another bowl and put beef and pork in. Break it into small pieces. Add salt, pepper, parsley and 1 cup ground Parmesan.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and stir in garlic. Transfer it into meat mixture.
- Squeeze milk from break crumbs and reserve milk. Add bread crumbs into meat mixture.
- Mix meat mixture with hands and keep it in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Moist your hands with little reserved milk and make small balls out from this mixture.
- Place these balls in tomato sauce in pot. Bring the pot to simmer on low heat. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes. Cool slightly
- Cook spaghetti in boiling water pot and then drain.
- Transfer meat balls into plate. Add paste to sauce and toss well.
- Place pasta in serving plates and top with meatballs and grated parmesan cheese.