½ cup quinoa
1 cup water
2 cups chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch thick slices
1 bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup cubed zucchini
2 cups undrained chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
1 cup water or vegetable stock
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
1 teaspoon ground coriander
Pinch of cayenne, or more to taste
2 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt, to taste
Chopped fresh cilantro or mint (optional)
Grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (optional do not use Jack cheese if on neutropenic diet)
1. Rinse quinoa with cold water.
2. Cook quinoa in water in a pot, covered, and on medium heat, for 15 minutes.
3. Put garlic, onions and vegetable oil in covered soup pot and mix them on medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Now add carrots and celery in it and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir constantly.
5. Add zucchini, tomatoes, bell pepper and one cup water in a soup pot.
6. Then add chili powder, coriander, cumin, cayenne and oregano in pot. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 15 minutes on medium heat.
7. Stir in salt and cooked quinoa.
8. Top with grated cheese and cilantro.
9. Serve hot.