1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
2 medium tomatoes, cored, chopped
3 cups dry white wine
1 cup (or more) water
3 pounds Manila clams or small littleneck clams, scrubbed
1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
2 pinches of dried crushed red pepper
8 ounces linguine
- Take a skillet and melt butter in olive oil on medium heat.
- Sauté onions in it for 5 minutes and add garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup water and white wine and boil. Then reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Let it cool slightly and then refrigerate.
- Boil broth in a pot. Add clams and cover the lid. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Now separate the clams into a bowl. Cover with foil to keep them warm.
- Now add parsley, basil, oregano and crushed pepper into broth pot. Also add linguine. Boil until pasta is cooked, with frequent stirring.
- Now put the clams back in pot and cook for 3 minutes. Add seasoning.
- Pour the clam and linguine mixture into a shallow serving dish and serve.