2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium leek, white and pale-green parts only, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup green lentils, preferably French
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
Thinly sliced scallions (optional; for serving)
- Take a saucepan and heat oil on a medium heat.
- Cook in it leek, garlic and tomato paste for 4 minutes.
- Add lentils and ½ cup water. Boil it on high and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45-55 minutes, with frequent stirring.
- Remove from heat and set aside covered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce and seasoning.
- Serve with scallions.